Friday, November 11, 2011

"Victoria"

I have changed the nature of the main character of my new play "Washing Hair".  She was too young, too unfocused, too flighty and too unsure of herself.  She was too much like the me that I used to be.  I didn't like her and did not want to write about her.   She was getting on my nerves.  And so I have rewritten her.    I began writing this play, this Victoria in the mid 90's.  I was so different then than I am now.  So, now, I made Victoria stronger, more directed, more reflective of her life.  I have to make sure that she is not too serious, that she has humor. My writing can be too morose, to dark and sad.  I want this play to have more laughter than the last play.  Since so much of my characters are made up of the shadows of myself...I guess I need to laugh at myself more.

No comments:

Post a Comment